23 August, 2016
The Star Tribune reported that pills marked as hydrocodone that were found Paisley Park after Prince's overdose death actually contained fentanyl.
The Associated Press reports that almost a dozen pills in one Aleve bottle were labeled incorrectly as "Watson 385", a stamp to identify pills that contain a mix of acetaminophen and hydrocodone.
The synthetic opioid is considered 50 times more powerful than heroin.More news: What time does WWE SummerSlam start?
According to a new development in the investigation into Prince's death, the drugs found inside the artist's home were labelled incorrectly. An autopsy report of the late singer published on June 2 by the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office found that Prince had "self-administered fentanyl" and ruled that it was accidental. There were about two dozens pills left in the bottle.
Prince died less than a week after an opioid overdose forced his private plane to make an emergency landing in Moline, Ill. Experts says it's likely Prince was a casualty of what's called a new national crisis of deadly counterfeit pills. But the Drug Enforcement Administration said drug traffickers have since expanded the illicit fentanyl market by producing counterfeit pills that contain the opioid. Users don't always know when they're taking fentanyl, increasing the risk of fatal overdose. What was unknown is exactly how Prince managed to ingest fentanyl. Some of those pills were found to have lidocaine - a local numbing agent - as well as U-4770 - a synthetic drug eight times more powerful than morphine. It has also been suspected as the cause of a rash of heroin overdoses. At this time, no prescription for the medication has been discovered since the investigation has began and it remains unclear how he acquired the drug in the first place.
It's believed that Prince had begun abusing prescription painkillers as far back as 2008 after having surgery to correct a hip injury. This illegal fentanyl is often mixed with other drugs, then sold in highly potent forms, such as pills. It's a sedative and can also be used to control seizures, which Prince suffered from as a child.