Dreaded Hizbul Mujahideen militant killed in gun battle

Lashkar-e-Islam chief Qayoom Najar with Rs 10 lakh bounty killed in Uri
Lashkar-e-Islam chief Qayoom Najar with Rs 10 lakh bounty killed in Uri

28 September, 2017

Top Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Abdul Qayoom Najar was killed in a gunbattle with security forces near the Line of Control (LoC) in Uri sector in Baramulla as he was trying to sneak into the valley to take charge of the outfit, a senior police officer said.

Najar, a resident of north Kashmir's Sopore town, had joined Hizbul Mujahideen in the early part of 1990s and had topped the security forces' list of most wanted militants in the region for nearly a decade.

Officials said that Najar, who figured in the list of most wanted terrorists, was killed as the Army and other security forces foiled an infiltration bid along the LoC in Uri.

The outfit that claimed the attacks, Lashkar-e-Islam, (police describes it as a splinter group of Hizbul Mujahideen) which hardly had any presence in the Valley. "Considering that both of his top commanders in north Kashmir and south Kashmir were dead, Najar was sent to take command of Hizbul which has been nearly wiped off from north Kashmir with his (Najar's) killing", SSP Hussain said. Najar was also reportedly unhappy as the Hizb high command had shifted focus to cadres operating in Tral instead of his cadres operating in north Kashmir. He briefly fell out with HM/Hurriyat leadership in 2015 when he orchestrated multiple attacks on mobile towers and killing of some civilians affiliated with Hurriyat.

More news: Newcastle moves into top 5 with 3rd straight EPL win

The officer further said Najar was called to the base camp in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir by his handlers in 2015. Najar came to the limelight after the attacks on mobile towers and killings of six civilians in Sopore and its adjacent villages. "It is a big achievement for us" Hussain said.

Nazar joined militancy at an early age of 16 but got arrested in 1992. Qayoom had also holed up in Jammu in September 2015 before his escape to PoK. He was an active militant for over 18 years.

Locals said that government forces have been deployed in strength to prevent protests in view of the killing of former HM commander Ab Qayoom Najar.

More news