12 April, 2018
Yemen´s armed Houthi movement said on Wednesday it had launched a drone strike on a facility belonging to oil giant Saudi Aramco in southern Saudi Arabia -though the company said its plants there were operating "normally and safely".
There was no immediate comment from the government but according to Saudi news channel al-Arabiya, the explosions were caused by the Saudi air defence intercepting a rocket.
Al Masirah, a TV network run by the Houthis, claimed responsibility for the attack on Twitter, saying the rebels fired a Burkan 2-H, a Scud-type missile, towards the Saudi defence ministry.
Saudi Arabia last month said it intercepted seven ballistic missiles fired at Riyadh and other cities by the Houthis, the biggest such barrage since the kingdom went to war against them in March 2015.More news: Dow dives as much as 750
The channel said in a tweet that the group had launched a "Qasef 1" drone aircraft heading for the Abha airport in the southwestern Saudi city of Aseer.
"The air force announced the execution of air strikes with the Qasef-1 aircraft on Aramco in Jizan (province)", the channel said on its Twitter account, referring to a drone the Houthis unveiled a year ago.
Colonel Turki al-Maliki, the spokesman for the Arab Coalition Forces fighting in Yemen, said that at 7:40 am local time air defense systems detected an object and dealt with it accordingly.
More than 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen since the beginning of the conflict.