17 May, 2018
- The autopsy report for a man whose vape pen exploded, causing a fire in his St. Petersburg home, shows the exploding pen - not the fire - killed him. Officials are ruling the death an accident, but that's hardly comforting for D'Elia's friends and family.
A subsequent house fire caused by the exploding e-cigarette led to D'Elia receiving burns on 80 percent of his body, WMAZ reported.
The electronic cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain, said the medical examiner. He suffered third-degree burns. A company representative stated that they don't believe it was their pen that exploded but rather the atomizer or battery. D'Elia's death is the first to be reported as the result of an issue with an electronic cigarette.
Tallmadge D'Elia, 38, was found dead this month after a fire alarm went off at his home and officers arrived on the scene, according to his autopsy report.
Meanwhile, the US Fire Administration released a report on e-cigarette explosions from 2009 to 2016.
Though such incidents are rare, this isn't the first time a spontaneous e-cigarette explosion has raised concerns.More news: Woman wins $1.2 million on $18 horse racing bet
"No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body", the Fire Administration's report notes. The agency and the CDC recommend using vape pens with safety features, including those created to prevent battery overheating, and keeping batteries away from metal objects like coins and keys.
E-cigarettes have been marketed as a "safe alternative" to tobacco cigarettes.
"Lithium ion batteries fail in other devices as well, but in a laptop, it's on your lap", he said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommendations for e-cigarette use include: not carrying loose e-cig batteries in a pocket, where they could come into contact with other metal objects; not charging with a phone charger; not charging while unattended; and not mixing and matching different brands or old and new batteries. Finally, avoid altering the device, anddo not leave it in extreme temperatures, such as in direct sunlight or in a freezing auto overnight.
Smok-E Mountain, however, told ABC its e-cigarettes do not explode, suggesting instead that the device's battery or atomiser was likely to blame.